Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 in review and 2012 goals


Today is January 1st, the day that you're supposed to reflect on the past year and make goals for the upcoming one. While I am never one to make resolutions (how can you change perfection?) I do try to make goals. This year my main goals in life are easy, keep up with my running and get better at it, save more money and spend less, and get back into attending mass regularly. While I do pray daily (usually while I'm walking my dog.....my neighbours must think I'm a bit nuts talking to myself LOL), I have been lazy about attending mass. This has never been more clear to me than when I went to wish our parishes Lay Minister a Merry Christmas at midnight mass last week and she jokingly asked who I was. Yikes, point taken. As far as my running goes, I am really proud of how far I've come my first year (6 months really). I started out in June with the Running Room's Learn to Run Clinic with week one's walk 1 run 1, and ended in December going my longest distance ever, 11kms! I've run about 450km's in total this year and completed 2 timed 5K races, 3 virtual races and raised $1850 for the Run for the Cure. This upcoming year I am looking to participate in the following races give or take a few:

Frosty 5K March 4 - This all depends on whether I want to race in the freezing cold :oP
Toronto Yonge St 10K - April 22 (day after my birthday) - Registered!
Mississauga Marathon 10K - May 5
Toronto Women's 5K - May 27
Moon in June 5K/10K- June 2
Warrior Dash -  July 21 - Registered!
Toronto Women's 5K/10K - August 25 -We'll see how the first one goes
Oasis Zoo Run 5K/10K - Sept 22
Toronto Women's 8K/5K - Oct 27 - Again, we'll see how the first one goes

I am really looking forward to adding the 10K race to my repertoire, hoping to achieve a new 5K PB (currently 26:46) and am aiming to run over 1000km's in total for the year. I would also like to revisit my first race ever, the Waterfront Trail but it isn't posted yet. I really enjoyed this race last year and hope to do it annually. My goal is to run at least 4x a week and maintain cross training with weights and the exercise bike. One thing that I really need to pay attention to this year is my eating. While some runners run to lose weight, I do it to stay healthy and can not afford to lose any weight. As I increased my distance at the end of the year I didn't bother to adjust my daily calories and lost 5lbs which was startlingly obvious on me. Hopefully this year I can figure it all out.


No comments:

Post a Comment